Woohoo! We're into our first month of reading. Our first book is The Giver, by Lois Lowry. We have about two weeks to read it and write about it. If you start now, you need to read about 14 pages a day (less than two chapters) to finish by September 17th, the date of our book discussion. Happy reading!As for writing, don't worry-your writing about The Giver can be anything, from a simple summary or "Why I liked/didn't like this book" to a formal essay analyzing theme and voice. I suggest keeping a notebook handy as you read to jot down "epiphanies": insights you have as you go along, quotes from the book, and answers to the questions "What is this book about?" "What is the author trying to say?" "How should I apply this message?"
Jay E. Jensen, in the September Ensign, teaches that "as you [read], it is important to organize what you learn. Take what you have [read], and then make it yours by writing it down and expanding it...Generally speaking, until you can articulate what you've learned, you haven't really learned it. Make the effort to organize what you learn; it will be worth it."
Enjoy the book! You'll savor it more when you slow down to notice the message. I look forward to talking about our insights and discoveries.
1 comment:
I was just thinking, too, about other writing possibilities: to me, writing a blog post about the book, even a post addressing themes/motifs/anything intellectual is a lot less intimidating that writing a full-on paper. So I might start with that.
Post a Comment