Monday, September 29, 2008
Spinach Smoothies
Per Melissa's request, here is the recipe for the spinach smoothies you all LOVED at our meeting. :) It's very precise, so pay attention!!
Put in blender:
About 2 handfuls of spinach
1 glug of honey (this translates to roughly 2 Tbl.)
2-3 handfuls of frozen berries
About 1 cup of water (more or less according to desired thickness)
1 handful of frozen tropical fruit mix (opt.)
fresh or frozen bananas (opt.)
whatever else you want (e.g. the leftover canned pineapple in the fridge, coconut, leftovers from yesterday's smoothie, etc.--opt.)
*The base recipe is about 3 handfuls of fruit to 2 handfuls of spinach. If you add more fruit, increase the amount of spinach.
Blend! The base recipe makes about two generous servings.
Notes: I buy a big bag of spinach at Costco. I also buy my frozen fruit at Costco or Sam's Club-a berry mix and a tropical mix. After blending my smoothie, I pour one tall glass for myself, then add more water to the rest, mix it again, and pour some into a sippy cup for my 1 1/2 year-old. Occasionally I shake his up to keep seeds from plugging the holes in the sippy lid (I remove the valve). I try to have one smoothie every day. I drink mine in the late afternoon, when I get hungry (but it's too early for dinner).
Green Smoothie Girl is the originator of this recipe, although her smoothies are much greener than mine (hence, more healthy, but hey, if you can't bring yourself to drink it, there are zilch health benefits!).
Put in blender:
About 2 handfuls of spinach
1 glug of honey (this translates to roughly 2 Tbl.)
2-3 handfuls of frozen berries
About 1 cup of water (more or less according to desired thickness)
1 handful of frozen tropical fruit mix (opt.)
fresh or frozen bananas (opt.)
whatever else you want (e.g. the leftover canned pineapple in the fridge, coconut, leftovers from yesterday's smoothie, etc.--opt.)
*The base recipe is about 3 handfuls of fruit to 2 handfuls of spinach. If you add more fruit, increase the amount of spinach.
Blend! The base recipe makes about two generous servings.
Notes: I buy a big bag of spinach at Costco. I also buy my frozen fruit at Costco or Sam's Club-a berry mix and a tropical mix. After blending my smoothie, I pour one tall glass for myself, then add more water to the rest, mix it again, and pour some into a sippy cup for my 1 1/2 year-old. Occasionally I shake his up to keep seeds from plugging the holes in the sippy lid (I remove the valve). I try to have one smoothie every day. I drink mine in the late afternoon, when I get hungry (but it's too early for dinner).
Green Smoothie Girl is the originator of this recipe, although her smoothies are much greener than mine (hence, more healthy, but hey, if you can't bring yourself to drink it, there are zilch health benefits!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
glug of honey, got it! :)
Cheers for green smoothies!!!
Kristen
Okay, so I tried using green beans instead of spinach (my husband's idea!)--DON'T use green beans instead of spinach!
Post a Comment