
Monday, September 22, 2008
The Hiding Place

Hi ladies! We had a fantastic book discussion on The Giver last Wednesday (please continue to comment on the book as much as you'd like)--more posts about that to come--and we're now reading The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom. As I am reading, I am looking for reasons why Betsie and Father and others are so good. There are wonderful lessons on love to be learned in this book!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi, my name is Jean and I do not follow directions well! LOL
Ok so I am posting to say that The Hiding Place is one of my favorite holocaust books.
I am a lover of history.
If I ever am able to go to college it will be to study History.
One of my favorite area's to study is the holocaust. I think for two reasons:
1)The horror that something so horrible could happen and 2) to learn how the victims survived, (I mean more of emotional survival and trivial)
I have read between 8 to a dozen or so books about these amazing people, so I went to the library and found a few new ones to read in preparation for next months meeting. (this is that part about not following directions) I even found one called "the number on my grandfather's arm" to read with my 5 year old. Anyhow, I wanted to say good choice in a book! I'm excited for the chance to sneak even a few moments this month into a reading that I can feel passionately about!
Jean, I think it's great that you grabbed other books dealing with similar experiences! I actually picked one up myself written by a lady who knew Corrie ten Boom who writes more about her and her experiences. Please don't feel like there are rules about what and when to read-aside from the month's books, there aren't, in fact, our discussions will be greatly enriched by other readings.
So maybe in the future I should wait until the week or two before our meeting to start the book--it has only been 6 days and I'm close to finishing! I can't get enough. I realized today that where The Giver made me think, The Hiding Place is making me feel (not that I didn't feel during The Giver...hopefully you know what I mean!). We didn't choose the sequence of these books with a specific connection between them in mind, but I'm finding that Corrie's attitude and experiences are helping me decide how to deal with some of the pain and suffering I was reminded of by Jonas.
Post a Comment