Monday, March 2, 2009

discussion: teaching children

This Wednesday at Mommy Salon we want to spend some time discussing ways to teach children. Each of us is an expert in our own way (like, I know Thomas listens really well when he's eating Teddy Grahams) and so we hope we can put our heads together and come up with some "best practices" for teaching children, whether they're our own or not.

So keep this in mind for the next couple of days: how do you teach your children, not just how to tie their shoes, but truths? What are some successes you've had, and what hasn't worked for you? How does the teaching happen in your house?

Thanks, ladies! I look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday night at Alicia's.

[And if you know whether or not you're coming, will you either comment here or email Alicia so she can plan? That would be super helpful. Thanks a million.]

3 comments:

The Riggs Family Blog said...

I won't be able to make it Wed.--Justin has his monthly Cub Meeting he's in charge of...
I will be working on finishing reading P&P over the next couple of weeks--great pick by the way--always enjoyable reading!

I'm intrigued by your discussion topic this month. For my two cents, I was just reading in a parenting magazine that the best indicator of how well a child will do in school is how self-disciplined (willing to forego immediate gratification) he/she is--not necessarily how intelligent he/she is.
It made me think about how I can be instilling good values, like self-discipline, in my child. A lot of the advice given in the magazine was giving rewards for good behavior, such as stickers or a quarter in their piggy bank. But my thought is: why can't we just tell them hard work can make you happy, and can be fun? Do we have to bribe (effective for the young ones I know, but at what point do you stop doing that)?
Maybe you will have some good feedback on this... Let me know! :)

Sorry I can't make it this month--it's always so fun!

Kristy said...

Katie: your question brings to mind a chapter in this book I just read, Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood, that was all about chores. What I liked about it was that they admitted chores weren't fun, that you didn't have to pretend to help kids learn to do them. I need to go back and read it again so I can figure out exactly HOW to start forming good habits, though.

Alicia said...

Ooh, Katie, good thought/question. Hmm. I'll have to mull that one over. I don't like the idea of bribing so much. And Kristy, I'm in the middle of Love and Logig right now! I listened to it on CD last fall, but I needed a recap. I did listen to a discussion on CD by the same Love and Logic guys, and they brought up the bribery vs. rewards issue. Basically, the principle is a reward is something you give a kid when YOU want to, which is not obligatory (based on a deal you've made with the kid). So it's a nice, well, reward for the child when they choose good behavior, but isn't something they come to feel entitled to.