These are just some things I've wondered to myself on this reading.
- What is all this business about "being accomplished"? What is the value of this cultural phenomenon, and do we have an equivalent today? And why isn't cooking on the list of desirable accomplishments in 19th century British society?
- What are Jane's and Elizabeth's flaws and strengths?
- What makes good "chick lit"? I mean really quality stuff, not smut novels. Why do we (or at least, me!) love Jane Austen? What makes it fun and good?
- Did Charlotte do the right thing in her marriage?
- What can married women (i.e. most of us) get out of this tale? I've had heaps of hilarious and poignant memories of my single/dating life as I've read, but what can we gain from the story now that we've landed our men?! I'm definitely having fun reading it, but is there value in the book beyond the entertainment factor?
I would love to hear your opinions on these ideas, either as comments here on the blog, and/or at our discussion next week. In the meantime, please feel free to post your own thoughts!
Another idea for writing is comparing the novel to a film adaptation of it. I have the Keira Knightly version, if anyone would like to borrow it! Perhaps we can have a movie screening...all for educational purposes, of course :).
1 comment:
Another couple of last-minute questions:
Why do we love Mr. Darcy?
Which character is most worth emulating? Is most admirable?
Post a Comment